[OF] Ostfront feedback

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #1 von Ivanov
Hi DMP team!

At the beginning I want to say, I am glad that finally I could put my hands on your latest, long awaited add on - that is the Ostfront!

It is the first time I've tried one of your works. So far, I have completed the first two scenarios and enjoyed them, but there is something that I would like to tell you. That is the terrain graphics.

I like the units graphics - especially the infantry - which is better than in the original game. If it comes to the terrain - well, there are many interesting features incorporated ( like for example the trenches ), but the summer maps are kind of overloaded with the colours and features, so the units thend to blend in too much and become indistinguishable, especially in the urban fighting ( the yellow arrows ):

Also, the clear terrain ( hex marked with the red arrow ), is practically indistinguishable from the hills ( hex marked with the black arrow ). That is kind of serious issue, as the players should be able to see the difference between the hills and the clear terrain, at the first glance ;) Is an important issue from the gameplay point of view.

I don't know, if this has been commented on your forum before ( probably yes ), but I just wanted to let you to know.

Keep up the good work!

:dmp_115:

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Bewaehrungsabzeichen in Bronze
Modding Bastelecken RibbonLogin Stufe 1Willkommens RibbonModding Team Ribbon
Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #2 von fsx
Thank you for your feedback. I also had the problem with the "well camouflaged" units on different hex. I used the unit-glow function (you have to copy the original file unitglow.png from PanzerCorps to Ostfront - folder graphics/overlay AND you should check the box in the game options) as I started with testing ostfront. But one week later, after a update, I did not recognized that the unitglow was switched off and I played since this time without it.

The terrain. It is a hard work to create a map. DMP dont use the original tiles. There are many steps (not only "create terrain" in the scenario editor) of work to make such a map. But we will discuss your issue with hills. If you see rail-tracks, you often have hills-terrain (railway embankment). Perhaps that helps you for the next time.

Sorry for my poor english, I only learned russian and french (and german) at school.

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #3 von Ivanov
Thanks for your comment. In general the terrain features on your maps look more realistic than in the original game. Compare the two screenshots:

The original game

The DMP Ostfront

There are much more, realistically looking details and colours on the DMP map. It is looking better, but due to that some units "get lost" on it. I think that the funcionality of the map is equally important as it's look. So I think that a golden mean between the two extremes needs to be encountered.

As to the hills, it's really an issue. The hills on the DMP maps look more like bushes. I think that they need to stand out more in order to be quickly recognizable.

Thanks

Willkommens Ribbon
Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #4 von Gebirgsjäger
We have used nearly NO hills so far. What you mean is probably Bocace?

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #5 von Ivanov
Please not the screenshot. The hill hexes are marked with the black arrows. If there is anything that makes them to stand out from the clear hexes, it is a slightly denser vegetation.

Also, please note the hexes marked with the black arrows. They are clear, but could be easily confused with the hills.

Of course it is a matter of an individual colour and contrast perception ( I am an architectural model maker ), but in my opinion the hill hexes should stand out more and be marked with some distinct tones of the brown ( earth ) tones.

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #6 von fsx

Gebirgsjäger schrieb: We have used nearly NO hills so far. What you mean is probably Bocace?

I see in the "comic" for the maps hills under railways!

The other issue is, that the tiles places manually. Also the descriptions. This makes the DMP-Maps detailled, but the creator easily can make some misplaced tiles: the description and the showed tile not corresponding with the terrain. But we will look for that.

EDIT: Yes, in Barbarossa are many hills. And it is not so easy to see the differences between these terrains.

Thanks

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #7 von Ivanov

fsx schrieb: But we will look for that.

Ok, thank you

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #8 von fsx
During betatesting, hills are never a problem in the discussion. I mean, the players in beta used the movement-prediction from the program. They did not used this terraininfo for strategical decisions. If you konw the difference in the terrain-graphics, you will see it. Now, after your question, I see it also when I play the game.
And what is a hill? A railways embankment? All with height over 300 m?
Yes, the movement of the units is slower in hills.

Perhaps you can try to change the Tile in the Graphics/Tiles folder, because I dont see an update for that issue.
Do you tried the original unitglow-file to highlight your units?

Sorry for my poor english...

Mehr
7 Jahre 3 Monate her #9 von Ivanov
Well - it depends on the map designer and it's his decission which hex could be designed as a hill. The problem is that such a hex, should be easilly distinguishable from the flat terrain:) I understand that it may be too late, to implement any changes to the Ostfron now, but you may consider a different hill hexes for you future projects.

As to the unit glow - it never worked out for me well, even it the original game :)

Mehr
7 Jahre 2 Monate her #10 von fsx
I would like to answer in this forum at your question in the slith forum.

You see, we look at the feedback from the players and we try to find solutions for the problems.
About the hills - I can not say something about it now. I suggest you to watch the new screenshots fom HGM....

Allgemeines SturmabzeichenPanzerkampfabzeichen BronzeReiterabzeichen in Silber
Login Stufe 1Modding Team RibbonWillkommens RibbonEhrenkreuz für KriegsteilnehmerAAR Schreiber RibbonDMP Dienstauszeichnung Stufe 4
Mehr
7 Jahre 2 Monate her #11 von Andreas
The new hills will be better distinguishable.

Mehr
7 Jahre 2 Monate her #12 von fsx
Hi Ivanov, do you know the game Popolous? The player (representing a God) could change the terrain (lower, raise).
"Player" mautschi makes the same for the DMP-scenario-maps. He is a 1st class information source about terrain. And its so much work to do this.
:dmp_1: Kudos to him! (similar to german: Hut ab = Hats off!)

Mehr
7 Jahre 2 Monate her #13 von Ivanov
That is a really great news. Thank you for this.

:dmp_115:

Mehr
7 Jahre 2 Monate her #14 von fsx
Look at the second pic in

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" www.designmodproject.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1951&t=27554&start=30#p1121585 ">viewtopic.php?f=1951&t=27554&start=30#p1121585<!-- l -->

Mehr
7 Jahre 2 Monate her #15 von Ivanov
Looking good:)

Moderatoren: AndurilMagic1111